Friday, September 17, 2010

First Week



I walked by a man playing a bagpipe on the street playing this song the other day.

Well, I am almost finished with my first week in Edinburgh. I spent the first part of my week sleeping a lot and trying to get over jetlag. I've had a chance to meet everyone in the program and all of my professors. Here is what my schedule looks like for the next three weeks:
Mondays - 10 to 12 - British Politics with Dr. Charlie Jeffrey
Tuesdays - 10 to 12 - Scottish Politics with Dr. David McCrone and afternoon activities
Wednesday - 10 to 12 - Scottish Society with Paddy Bort and afternoon activities
Thursdays - Afternoon Activity and Video at 6pm
Fridays - Free

I've had a great time just walking around the city looking at all of the stores and buildings. I am six blocks away from Edinburgh Castle and seven blocks from the beach. And then I'm only one street over from the Royal Mile.

I've been studying and reading a lot recently and working on a few papers due next week. I'll be sure to post some more when I have some more time.

Here are some pictures from the last week:

St. Giles Cathedral, about a block from my dorm.

This is the cobblestone road I walk every day to get to class.


This is the Scottish Parliament building. It has "interesting" architecture.

And finally, we toured John Knox's house the other day. It is very difficult being tall even in Scotland.


For anyone interested, here is my address in Scotland:

Matthew Henry
11/8 Robertson's Close
Cowgate, Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
EH1 1LY

1 comment: